A Danish lighting manufacturer that stands by the mantra of form following function, Louis Poulsen’s innovation in the design of their products are tailored to support the rhythm of natural light, with every detail in the design carrying a purpose, creating attractive ambiences that affect people and their spaces.
Nyhavn 11 is an 18th century property overlooking Nyhavn canal in central Copenhagen, Denmark. From here Louis Poulsen started to take off, as he started collaborating with the famous designer Poul Henningsen.
Louis and Poul were contacted for a project to develop lighting for the new Forum building in Copenhagen. This is where the now-legendary PH lamp with three shade system was developed. Following their success in the lighting industry, Louis Poulsen altered the direction of the business and started marketing light fittings, introducing their very first lighting catalogue in Danish, German, English and French!
As Louis and Poul’s relationship grew, so did the company, designing blackout lamps for the Tivoli Gardens (fantastic amusement park) in Copenhagen during the Second World War. During these times, the lamps prevented any exposure to light upwards, allowing the Tivoli Gardens to stay open regardless of the blackout prohibitions during the war.
The design inspiration of the blackout lamps carried on to the silhouette of the infamous PH5 lamp that was launched in 1958, the 5 in its name refers to its 50cm diameter. Louis Poulsen has continuously grown since the birth of the PH5 lamp, collaborating with various designers and famous architect’s like Tadao Ando, being a part of many projects across the globe, the craftsmanship, attention to detail and quality of Louis Poulsen lighting lies behind their origin story and mission, designing to shape light, the reason for their success!